Oil Pulling for Your Health and Healing
Oil Pulling for Your Health
Of all the home remedies for self-healing that I’ve posted, Oil Pulling is the one I am most excited about. Why? Because it is EASY, INEXPENSIVE, and HIGHLY EFFECTIVE for so many conditions.
What is Oil Pulling?
This simple procedure of slowly swishing oil around in your mouth helps the body self-heal from an amazing number of ailments and disorders by detoxifying the salivary and oral tissues. It is an Ayurvedic – i.e., from ancient Eastern medicine – practice that has been known to help the body overcome any number of ailments and disorders.
Here’s how you do oil pulling. Print out and follow the steps CAREFULLY:
1. First thing in the morning, before eating or drinking, put ONE TABLESPOON of refined SESAME or SUNFLOWER oil in your mouth. (For children or those with a small mouth, a bit less is more comfortable. And don’t bother to buy the expensive organic stuff. The supermarket variety works just fine.) Some people recommend coconut oil to help with teeth whitening, or safflower oil for a milder taste. But the original Ayurveda recommends sesame or sunflower.
2. Set a timer for 10 minutes, even 5 at first. Later you can increase to 15-20 minutes as you get more comfortable with the slow pulling
3. Slowly swish, suck and pull the oil through your teeth in the front, in the back, top and bottom, from side to side. I like to check my email or do some chore around the house to keep me occupied during this time.
4. DO NOT GARGLE the oil.
5. DO NOT SWALLOW the oil at any time.
6. When the timer goes off, spit into the toilet. Not the sink. See below for why.
7. Immediately rinse your mouth out SEVERAL TIMES and vigorously with warm water, gargling a few times to rinse the back of your mouth out as well, and spitting into the toilet also. Then flush the toilet. You definitely want to brush your teeth now.
8. Drink 1 to 2 glasses of filtered or spring water.
That’s basically it, so get started. The rest of this article talks about why the various steps are important and how Oil Pulling actually works and what to watch out for.
1. You need an empty stomach for this to work, so that’s why it is suggested you do it first thing in the morning. You can use a brush with no toothpaste on it at this point just to clear the surface of the teeth for better whitening effect and also to leech any stray mercury in the teeth.
If you have chronic or more serious conditions that you want to heal faster, you will want to Oil Pull two or three times a day. So, just make sure you have not eaten for about 3-4 hours and not had anything to drink for 1 hour. This ensures that the lining of your mouth is free of food/beverage particles and also that you will not vomit. Oil Pulling more than once a day helps you detox faster.
2. Oil Pull for at least 5-10 minutes. 15 to 20 is better and gets a more thorough result. The point is that what you spit out should be white and foamy, not yellow like the oil. If yellow, you’ve not done it long enough (although there may be times when you feel you just have to spit it out — that’s fine once in a while).
3. As you pull the oil through your teeth, make sure you get the gums and molars in the back of your mouth as well as the back of your tongue. The tongue has reflex points to every organ of the body, so this is one of the ways that Oil Pulling helps clear out the whole system.
4. Don’t gargle the oil, as it may cause a swallow reflex.
5. You don’t want to swallow this stuff. It is filled with parasites, viruses and “bacteria embryos” which can be seen at 600 magnification as writhing organisms. This stuff is poisonous and can make you sick. It’s why you already ARE sick or have some health problem or other. (One of our users reported that he “saved” the spit and an hour later saw the stuff writhing in the cup with the naked eye. This is not for the faint-hearted.)
If you feel you must swallow, here is how to stop the impulse: clear your throat. This action reverses the swallow impulse.
6. If you spit into the sink instead of the toilet, you will want to rinse the sink with bleach to kill the bacteria that would otherwise multiply there. Yuck.
7. I rinse my mouth at least 6 or 7 times to get any remaining bacteria out and do it vigorously, as well as gargle a few times.
8. After 1 or 2 glasses of water, then you can have breakfast or finish whatever your morning routine is. Plus, water first thing in the morning hydrates your tissues and sets up your brain for a brighter day ahead!
You can buy the sesame or sunflower oil at your local supermarket or cold-pressed from the health food store. A few people have reported that sesame tastes better than sunflower. Others feel that sesame is slimier and makes them gag. Different strokes.
The early signs of health improvement are whiter, shinier teeth; feeling refreshed and relaxed when waking up; balanced appetite and better eliminations; deeper sleep; disappearing pouches/dark circles below the eyes; more energy and stronger immune function throughout the day.
Acute ailments may clear within a day or two or three just with Oil Pulling. Chronic conditions may take weeks, even months to a year to clear completely from the body.
How does Oil Pulling heal the body?
In Ayurvedic medicine, the practice of Oil Pulling aims at purifying the taste buds. This is a sensory system that relies on balancing the 6 tastes in your diet to keep the whole body in a state of health and balance.
Additionally, the tongue is like the hand, foot, eye or ear in Eastern medicine – that is, it is a map of the body in miniature, containing reflex points to organs throughout the entire system – the spleen, heart, liver, colon, spine, etc. Therefore, detoxifying the tongue has a reflex soothing and purifying action on all the organs connected to it by meridians and reflex points.
The tongue becomes more supple and the lubrication from the oil prevents dryness, which we might think of as an aging of tissue. In modern terms, dryness of tissue is seen as a sign of nutritional depletion which oil can remedy, along with the antioxidant values these oils possess.
Mouth dryness is a common side-effect from many medications and may eventually lead to damage to the gums and/or loss of the teeth.
As the oil pulls the saliva from the mucous membranes in the mouth, it also pulls excess mucous, bacteria and toxins out into the spit. These would otherwise continue to circulate throughout the body, enabling both the degeneration of organs and systems and the progression of disease states and aging.
For this reason, Oil Pulling can be seen as one of the most vital practices to adopt for not only cure but also prevention.
***What happens if you get sick or your condition worsens during the Oil Pulling detox period?***
If you pick up a cold or flu or some other problem during your Oil Pulling days, KEEP AT IT. The Oil Pulling will help you get through it faster. This happened to me – I came down with a bad strep throat one morning after about a week of Oil Pulling. So I increased to twice a day from the morning routine I was doing. Strep in the past has taken me a week to 10 days to run through with or without medication, but it was gone on the third morning just from Oil Pulling!
Then I realized that this was probably not a “new” attack but most likely the remnants of all the other times I’d had strep throat going back to childhood. The Oil Pulling was in fact “bringing up the old, incompletely healed stuff” for a final healing.
I say “final” because I used to always wake up in the morning with a mildly scratchy sore throat which I now do not experience now at all, thank God. So I believe this chronic condition is finally gone from my body.
In homeopathic terms,”getting worse before it gets better” is called a “healing crisis,” where the disease seems to recur or worsen during treatment. No one likes this, but in fact it is a positive effort by the body to mobilize a stronger healing response.
Ayurvedic physician Dr. Karach says, “Do not stop when your state gets worse. There is no reason to interrupt the treatment even when the body temperature gets higher. It is a healing temperature… a worsening of your health state is a sign that your disease is disappearing.”
Rest assured that this apparent “worsening” is very temporary. Continue with the Oil Pulling and making progress on your health concern. Don’t give up, in fact, do it more often each day and watch the condition clear out finally and permanently.
Other positive results I noticed within the first couple of weeks of Oil Pulling include: decreased tooth sensitivity, better sleep, regular eliminations (I’d been skipping a day about once a week before this), whitening of a dark spot in back of a tooth at the site of a root canal, shinier and whiter teeth, less fuzzy coating on my tongue, lightening of dark circles under my eyes, sharper vision with better color appreciation, weight loss.
This is the most amazing health tool I’ve ever come across in over 35 years of studying holistic and alternative techniques. Go for it!
For more from Dr. Karach, here is a lengthy explanation for those of you who want to study this in greater depth.
When Dr. Karach examined the gargled milk-white oil under a microscope with 600 magnification, he saw live organisms swimming in it. It’s poisonous, so never swallow it, he warns. These poisons are bacteria-embryos, which, if not eliminated, cause diseases. Apparently, Dr. Karach cured his own chronic blood disease and 15-year-old arthritis with Oil Pulling after many months of consistent practice.
The first sign of improvement is in the teeth–they become firm and white, he says. Other healing indications: fresh, relaxed feeling on waking up, disappearing dark pouches below the eyes, a new appetite and energy, better memory and deeper sleep.
Dr. Karach swears by the mouth oil-wash for anything from organ-disorders, skin-diseases, menstrual problems, paralysis to every ache in the human anatomy. You can pull even when you have fever, he says, adding, it takes anything from two days to a year to cure a disease.
If these claims sound exaggerated, he told a conference of Ukrainian cancer specialists, try out the process yourself.
Interestingly, Ayurveda advises oil gargling “to purify the taste-buds and the entire system”, as explained by Dr Deepak Chopra in “Perfect Health.” According to this life science, the tongue is mapped by organ-locations – that is, each section of the tongue is connected to the organs — kidneys, lungs, spleen, liver, heart, pancreas, small intestines, stomach, colon, and spine.
Thus, an oil-mouth-massage soothes and stimulates the key meridians where taste meets organ. Simultaneously, as in any skin-massage, the inner skin and lining of the mouth, palate and tongue become warm and supple and the lubrication prevents dryness (the vatic effect).
In modern dietetics too, dryness is discussed. For example, lack of Vitamin A causes the outer lining of the eyeball to dry and wrinkle, and affects vision.
As any dietician would tell you, all oils contain 960 micrograms of vitamin A per 10 gm (the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A per adult is 600 micrograms). So, it’s possible that oil pulling helps in reaching the required retinal to the eyeballs and keeps them elastic and smooth.
Likewise, the Ayurvedic `purification of taste-buds’ also has its equivalent in dietetics as `antioxidants’. Oxidation literally means `the putrefaction of body-tissues’.
And oil-soluble vitamins A, C, D, and E are antioxidants that protect and prevent the decaying process and help maintain the integral functioning of cell membranes. That’s why many people are ingesting vitamin E pills to stem `aging’ (oxidation).
Keeping the chin tilted up makes sure the oil gets to the back molars.
Only sesame and sunflower oils produce the most favorable results.
If after meals, wait at least 4 hours before you Oil Pull. After drinking, wait 1 hour.
A worsening of symptoms is an excellent indication that a new disease/ailment == or perhaps one from the past that never completely healed — is being cured.
Do not stop Oil Pulling if you feel aggravated symptoms or heightened side-effects. Your body is healing. Be patient. Work WITH it, both mentally and physically. After all, it’s the only one you’ve got and Oil Pulling will do more for it than any other single therapy.